Couponing & Stockpiling
So anyone who has been to my home knows I have a wonderful walk in pantry and a wonderful stand alone freezer - they would also know both are usually pretty full! I am a couponer and frugalista at heart - seriously I feel I have found my calling in finding good deals (thanks mom for those genes)!
Where do I get my coupons?
Where do I get my coupons?
- Sunday Paper - I only get one copy of the paper! But I do swap coupons I won't use for coupons my mom won't use so sometimes get doubles! (I get the LA Times Sunday Edition for 9.99 for the entire year - all 52 weeks)! Sometimes my paper has double inserts!
- Online at sites such as http://www.coupons.com/ http://www.redplum.com/ http://www.ralphs.com/ http://www.upromise.com/ http://www.target.com/
- Follow other blogs such as http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ (she has nationwide coupons and deals - mine are much more local to SoCal)
- From the stores themselves - after signing up for rewards cards and online with other store I started to get mail and e-mail coupons very regularly!
- By liking my favorite brands on Facebook - there are almost always deals on the Facebook walls of brands I buy. Brands like Stonyfield, Green Giant, Nabisco, Kraft etc.
- By visiting manufacturers websites - these sites aren't always stocked with coupons but checking your favorite 4-5 (or more if you have time) brands websites can rack up some high value coupons - think $1 off a $1 box of pasta!
- In magazines (Better Homes and Gardens, Family Circle, Taste of Home, All You etc)
- In the local newspaper that gets thrown on my driveway once a month or so - sometimes these are the best local coupons and recently they have had the SmartSource insert too!
- Ask friends or family who receive the newspaper but don't coupon they can give you theirs!
- If you are ever at a Starbucks, Cafe, or Other place on Sunday morning check out the newspapers left on the tables or in the recycling baskets - they almost always have coupons in them!
- Match coupons with sales in your weekly grocery store ads (mine come on Tuesday and Thursday)
- Get to know prices - yes pasta might be on sale for $1.50 but I know it goes on sale for $1 shortly after this sale so I wait it out and get pasta at the $1 price with a $1 coupon it is free!
- Know your store - my Ralphs (and most socal Ralphs) will double a coupon up to a total value of $1.00 i.e. a $0.75 coupon would be $1 a $.30 coupon would be $.60. Stater Brother's doesn't care for electronically printed coupons valued at more than a dollar or so.
Some myths:And don't be fooled that coupons are only good for highly processed junk foods - they most definitely aren't - I buy tons of fruits and veggies with coupons as well as whole wheat breads and pastas. Whole milk organic yogurts and meats.
Tomorrow will hopefully yield a garden update as my kale is getting out of control! And yes I jinxed our awesome California weather and we are getting hit by yet another rain storm - just praying this one doesn't leave roads flooded so my hubby can get home!
And later in the week the ins and outs of shopping at Ralph's and why I think they are my go to store for the every day things!
Best of luck if you decide to start couponing,
Ash of All Trades