Early October Book Reviews!

The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larrson

After reading the first two books in the trilogy I must say I was dissapointed in this book.  It was very slow in the beginning and it wasn't until halfway through that I finally became genuinely intrigued.  Once I got through the first half which was a lot of historical points, government explanations, and character backgrounds I was hooked and read the second half in about a day!  The story continues from the cliff hanger at the end of the second book and continues to complete the tale of Mickael and Lisbeth as well as many other characters.  There are some weird plots twisted into this novel that don't necessarily need to be included but are interesting on their own.  I definitely left many scenes wondering if Mickael had really lost his mind and also second guessing the truth of the matter's at hand.  While the death of Deg and Mia was quite shocking to me it really does tie the story together quite naturally.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has read the first two and since I would recommend the first two to anyone you really should read them all!  Again be forewarned that these are graphic and disturbing novels - skim pages as necessary and just try to enjoy the thrill of solving the mystery not the gory details!

The Thorn by Beverly Lewis

This book is quite different than the above book however I have always been fascinated by the Amish way of life and after having visited Lancaster County and some Amish farms this summer I was thrilled to find this Nook Book for only a few dollars (looks like it is no longer that price)!  The story revolves around the Kauffman family (man a lot of Amish have that name) but most importantly around their second daughter Rose Ann and her quest to find true love either alone forever or with a husband.  While she is busy searching for the correct answer I enjoyed the aspect of her sister Hen's troubles adjusting to the "outside world" and longing for the familiar quietude of her "simple" childhood.  Following these two sisters are their seemingly different paths was quite enjoyable and light hearted even with some serious points.

It is highly intriguing to have a peak into the Amish life (albeit a fictional one) and to thrust yourself into imaging just how different things can be for different people.  This is the first in a trilogy (of course - why do I keep finding interesting trilogies) and I cannot wait to get my hands on the other two in the near future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fallish Foods - Meal Plan Week of Aug 26th

Theme Thursday: Bugs & Insects

Staycation!